Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Winds of Change

Today is a good day. This is because I have finally decided to be honest with myself in what I want out of my future.

For over a year now, I have trudged through school with the intent of acquiring a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science. To be fair, it seemed like the most logical way to go. I am good at math, problem solving, have a good memory and have simply shown a knack for programming. This is all well and good, but for the last few weeks, I have been struggling with the idea of trudging through another two years of course material I do not get much enjoyment out of.

As stated, my left (logical) brain has been telling me that if I am going to put myself in debt for school, I needed to do it in a field that would pay back greater dividends. All the while my right (creative) brain has been screaming that I am going to hate it just as much as every other job I've ever had and that I am selling my soul for a paycheck.

I am always telling Josh that it is more important to be happy then it is to have money. So, I am going to take my own advice. While I do not expect it to be easy, I feel that pursuing a degree in art will be much more fulfilling for me. Exactly what type of art degree I will go for, I do not yet know, but I have made a very big step in being honest with myself.

So, this week's piece is a tribute to the struggles within between the left and right brain. Enter 'Inner Conflict':



So, which is the reality and which is the disguise? It's hard to say, really. I have been blessed, and at times cursed, with a very well developed right and left brain. But, as time passes and I work through more of my conflicts, I begin to think that the robotic logic was developed more as a survival mechanism to make it through my childhood.

I strongly encourage anyone whose creative endeavors are met with criticism to ignore any nay-Sayers in their lives. They do not have to live your life for you. You can do everything for your parents or loved ones and live a life that they feel is best for you, but if it does not truly make you happy, then it serves no one in the end.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Both sides are you. I hope one side doesn't win out, but you achieve a happy medium of the two.

    ReplyDelete