Saturday, November 17, 2012

How About Some Metalwork For a Change?

I really need to quit making a habit of only posting ever three weeks. Such is life, I suppose. However, this blog post will serve to demonstrate what the hell I've been doing with my time since the last post!

As some of you may know, I enrolled in a metalworking class this semester. It's been hard work, but having the weight of a finished piece in my hand is very rewarding. I have enjoyed it so much that I've actually signed up for a 1 hour credit next semester so that I can continue to use the studio for some things I have planned. That will come later, though.

This week, I thought it fitting to show off my (mostly) finished hollow construction piece. The term 'hollow' denoted that it was crafted by creating a box like structure with a top, bottom and walls and soldering the entire piece together. I say mostly finished due to the fact that these pictures were taken before I had completed the sanding process, so there are still quite a few imperfections that can be seen in it. Without further a due, here it is:



Pretty sweet, eh? It's a ring, but during the design process, we were told not to think of it as a piece of jewelry but instead as a 'stie-specific sculpture.' I created it to have a hole for three fingers to prevent any tipping. The top part you see here is made of brass while the walls and back were made of copper. All and all, it turned out pretty nice. Sure, there was a little half centimeter stretch where I couldn't get the seam to solder, but I still consider the whole thing a success.

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure I put a good 40-50 hours into this. If I had managed my time a bit better, I probably could have gotten it perfect, but that's a dangerous path of thought to begin down, so I'll just love it the way it is.

While I'm on the topic of my metalworking, I suppose I could go ahead and post the first two project that we did before this one. I warn you, though, the pictures are not too great.


This was our first project, the layer project. We were to design a minimum three layer piece using three 2x2" pieces of brass, copper and nickel. The design was based off of a set of 'evolutions' we based off of magazine tracings. I believe my original image was of a really interesting interior arch way. Everything was done using cold connections (i.e. no soldering, only rivets). The picture is pretty washed out, but I took it while the piece was actually in the display case at Ellis Hall. I could probably take another since it's back in my possession now, but I need to clean off some finger print gunk that's on it first.


An the simple ring project. The initial designs were a bit more complicated, but, for those who don't know, sterling silver is expensive. And I'm not even talking about fine silver here. I think this tiny design ended up costing me a little over $7 in material and a good 25 hours of work to construct it. She told me what the stone is, but I don't remember. I went with the blue one because it was the perdiest of the stones I had... Though, given my love of Slytherin House, it was a close race between this stone and the green one I had.

Welp, that's all I've got for now. I would say that once I take better pictures I'll post them, but then I'd have to go through and edit the whole damn post and take out all the comments about the horrible pictures and unfinished work. So, when I get around to taking better pictures, I'll put them on Deviantart and post a link here, that cool?

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment