Friday, November 30, 2012

Because Tom Hiddleston is Overrated on DA...

These last few weeks have been... Shall we say stressful? I may have mentioned the crazy neighbors before, but it finally came to a head last week. They were having what a massive scream-fest accented by what sounded like striking each other and throwing inanimate objects around 4:00-4:30 Thanksgiving morning. Those whole ordeal actually woke me, the sleeping dead, AND Josh who had passed out intoxicated. Needless to say, we called the cops. As usual, the neighbors didn't answer and pretended like no one was home until the cops left, I got a gnarly recording of it all from the bedroom and, after being informed of this third major incident, the landlord has issued them a notice to leave the premises or be evicted. So, that's something to look forward to. However, until they actually LEAVE the other side of the duplex, I have and will continue to feel like I am walking on pins and needles. Now that I have THAT off of my chest...

The semester is winding down and finals are hardly a week away. I don't have many exams to study for, but their are a lot of big projects due soon. I'm trying not to freak out about the final 2D assignment because I caused quite a stir with my last assignment and I'm not sure I can top it! What was the last assignment, you may ask. Well, it was a 9 frame painting of a fish demonstrating the different color schemes. However , since I am blogging from my mobile phone, you'll have to scroll down to see it.

Go ahead. I'll wait...

I think it turned out really well. The color schemes are as follows (top to bottom, left to right):
1. Achromatic - grey scale
2. Monochromatic - many shades and tints of one hue
3. Analogous - two or more colors right next to each other on the color wheel (green, yellow-green and yellow)
4. Cool colors - purples, greens and blues (like water and space)
5. Secondary colors - colors created by mixing primary colors
6. Warm colors - reds, oranges and yellows (like fire)
7. Complimentary colors - two colors directly opposite each other on the color wheel (red-violet and yellow-green)
8. Original image colors
9. Primary colors - red, yellow and blue

The whole project showed me that I'm not that bad of a painter and that I REALLY enjoy painting water.

But, you may have noticed ANOTHER image at the bottom. If you missed it, go ahead and scroll down again. I'll wait...

...

Holy S***! What is that? Is it a graphite drawing of Chris Hemsworth as Thor?! It totally is.

This was brought on by some frustration with the current Drawing project. No one has ever asked my to draw myself in the mirror. I found it quite difficult. A lot of it has to do with the subject matter. It is now apparent that drawing is not something I consider where mirrors are concerned.

So I decided to draw someone else's face to blow off some steam. Actually, I had compiled pictures of the Statue of Liberty as potential references for future projects, but that seemed less relevant to my current study needs.

I don't remember when or why Hemsworth first came to mind, but I made a definite decision around the time the third or fourth drawing of Tom Hiddleston or Tom Hiddleston as Loki hit my Deviant Art DevWatch. I'm not knocking those who like him, but he just isn't my style. Besides, I have a friend who is practically in love with Hemsworth and Thor so I'll have someone to give this to.

Which brings me to my last point. In Non-Westen Art History, we are learning about how many cultures do not see art as a product, but as a force that radiates forth from the artist. Many of these cultures have art that is destroyed or given away once completed because they knew that they can and will create more. So I picked something I knew I would be able to give away to practice this thought process.

I have a possessiveness about my work and have a hard time letting it go. Perhaps I feel that I have left a piece of me with the graphite, charcoal or acrylic paint piled onto a canvas. Perhaps I am just scared to feel rejection, or unimportant if the person should lose or mistreat it. Either way, as someone who is now studying art as a potential profession, I've decided this concept will be important for fighting potential hurtles in the future. I wont be scared of losing pieces of myself with my artwork but will be happy and excited to share and give my talent to others.

Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment