Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Making street signs and thinking that maybe I should have tried scrap booking...

Perhaps it was a bit dramatic for me to say that it could be weeks before I posted again. I think a break from the Right Brain Retrain could go very badly for me since this blog has become a sort of outlet to de-stress during hectic times. I've been so stressed out and trying to keep myself in overdrive for so long now that my hair is going grey!! Actually, I've been 'going grey' since I was 19, but during prolonged periods of stress I get a lot more grey hairs. At least my hair's not falling out. If that were the case I might have to seek the help of a professional who could prescribe me with a strong sedative. Anyway, where was I...

Ah, yes, I mentioned scrap booking in the title. I don't actually want to get into scrap booking, but I think I would have had a lot of fun if I had at some point in the last 10 years that I wasn't taking art classes. Paper art is becoming a favorite for me at this point. This is partially because I never knew the joys of rubber cement until this semester and partially because I had never really considered it a good medium for artistic expression... Well, of course, other than the paper you would draw or write or paint on.

This weeks assignment for Two-Dimensional Design was about one of the principles of organization known as Economy (The distillation of the image to the basic essentials for clarity of presentation). So, we made road signs. The objective was to choose three out of a list of six possible road signs and create a design that could quickly convey the signs' meaning to someone driving by. The sign stipulations are as follows: 6"x6" square which may be turned at a 45° angle to form a diamond, circle with 6.5" diameter or an 8" equilateral triangle sign constructed of colored paper and glued to Bristol board (attempting to use no more than 3 colors). I chose to create the following three signs:

Explanations Below (left to right)

Alien Sighting Area:

While this sign went through a couple of different transformations, the basic idea was there from the beginning. I knew that simply putting the unversally understood 'alien head' shape on the sign might not be enough to convey the entire message. While I saw many of my classmates choosing to use eyes and binoculars to express the concept, it was not my first instict. Living in the digital era means that when you are going sight seeing, you're going to want to document what you see so you can share it with people who weren't there. Nearly everybody has a camera these days, so I figured a simple thumbnail would suffice. As for the shape I chose, and alien sighting area is something I would not percieve as an urgent matter requiring the attention of every car passing by. And of course I chose green, why wouldn't I? The simple shape with the cool green color create a calm and orderly mood with this sign.

Spiders Ahead:

This sign is meant to be more cautionary. At first I had two lines depicting a road leading up to it, but then it looked like a giant spider, which is not the message I wanted to convey. I used the diamond shape to show that caution should be taken, but since the diamond is still a square it still comes across as orderly. Yellow is conventionally used to show when caution should be taken and the general design of the sign itself is modeled after countless other '[insert animal species here] ahead' signs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Zombie Zone:

At first I wasn't even going to do this last one. "But Lucky," you might find yourself pondering, "Didn't you take your Sophomore Seminar on 'Society and the Modern Zombie'?" Well, you would be pondering correctly, assuming that you actually were pondering such a thing... I'm being generous because I'm not sure anybody really reads this thing anyway, but yes! I took a whole flippin' class on zombies: Why society loves them so much, how authors use zombie stories for social commentary and zombie survival strategies and techniques. So, why wouldn't I choose this sign? Because I knew that everybody wanted to do this sign. I don't pride myself on being a completely unique snowflake in a sea of shit bags, or anything. However, I do try to stray from the well beaten path. It is very difficult to stand out as an artist when you are doing the same thing as everyone else. But, as the deadline was approaching rapidly and I didn't even have a third design, I decided to return to this one and do it right.

Initially the sign was of just a brain with a bite taken out of it, but a brain is a very difficult object to simplify. So, the shocked human head with appropriately placed bite was sufficient. Triangles are supposed to be the universal symbol for danger, or hazard, or something to that effect. At first I had it upside down, but I thought right side up expressed a better sense of urgency. And of course it had to be red. Apart from the zombie apocalypse being a rather bloody affair, red is used to catch attention fast. Stop signs as well as yield signs are red because you need to pay attention to their message. Otherwise, you may end up in a car wreck or running over a whole troop of Girl Scouts! I was going back and forth between black and white accents, but, as luck has it, I was working on the color scheme for the Alien sign in a separate window of Photoshop. One of the color schemes looked like the green sign you see above and I already had the spider sign done. Suddenly it was so obvious and the whole project fell into place. I know that if I saw this sign I would do one of two things: 1) turn around or 2) check that all my guns were loaded, within reach and step on the accelerator. Which reminds me, I still need to look into getting a gun...

I actually have a second picture of them in a vertical arrangement. It was really a coincidence that the colors ended up being green, yellow and red. It was even more of a coincidence that the only vertical arrangement that looked balance was to put them red, yellow and green from top to bottom. However, I don't like to be thought of as a copy cat and I know my classmate Yee is doing her 3 circle signs in the arrangement seen on intersection lights. I don't want to steal her thunder, or her idea, so I will keep them in the horizontal arrangement... Or maybe I should just ask Yee which way is better... I don't know, I'm just glad to have them complete.

I suppose that's it for now. I have to get back to my Metalworking homework now. It's not nearly as fun, but it must get done. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment